a half-birthday

4.02.2015

ultrasound
today is my half-birthday and in six short months i'll be sharing my actual birth date with another. another! even though it's been over 13 weeks, it hardly seemed real until we saw that sharp white profile cut against the black screen last friday. you would think that with this being my second time, it would all be more familiar, but with a toddler running around i find myself more aware of his developments than i am of the little life growing inside me. life has it's miracles though - seen and unseen - and i am just so excited to be able to experience them over and again. so there i was, lying on a paper-covered table, with andy in a chair next to me, and august on his lap when we saw that monochrome image and a flash of recognition across august's face. the wand was still on my belly and the baby rolled around on the screen, while a strong heartbeat thrummed through the room when i turned to a wide-eyed august and whispered, it sounds like a choo-choo! "baby choo-choo!", he echoed in a far-off voice. then, andy and i looked at each other and it was in that moment that we finally recognized it. we were all there together, all four of us.

24 comments:

gillian claire said...

Oh girl, this post is so beautifully written. I got chills and teary eyed at that last sentence! I too felt like being pregnant a second time would feel more familiar, but it was just as crazy/miraculous. I've been really busy and am so behind on reading blogs but I had to pop over and read your announcement when I saw your photo on Instagram. So happy for you!

melaniekay said...

Congrats!!! That is so exciting!!
Melanie @ meandmr.com

Erin said...

Congratulations, Lucinda, Andy, and August! What thrilling, wonderful news for your little family!! Confession: I've known for about a week or so, ever since you posted that photo on Instagram of your notebook/laptop/latte; I could see the writing in your notebook and made out, "Since this isn't my first pregnancy..." and my heart just burst for you guys. Of course, it would've been gauche of me to tell you I knew, before you made your announcement, but I've been sitting here quietly exploding with joy for you three!! So much happiness and love! And a very happy half-birthday, too! xoxoxo(+xoxoxo)

Amy S. said...

Awesome! Congrats to you guys!!

Lauren said...

Oh! Oh! May sweet blessings rein down upon your whole family! My jaw dropped with joy when I read your post, just the happiest thing to read this Friday morning. I love watching you mother through this space, and I can't wait to watch your family grow. Happy all the time. :)

Unknown said...

Congrats! Very happy for your little family. Haven't followed the blog for that long but love checking it occasionally. The pictures and writings always inspire and seem to relax me! Thank you :)

Renee Skelly said...

Omgosh, tears fill my eyes and goose bumps on my arms! Congrats lu! xoxo

Valerie Price said...

Oh wow, congratulations! The photo is so beautiful!

Fiona Harding said...

This is the sweetest - so many congratulations!!!

Kaylan Buteyn said...

so amazing! So happy for you.

lucinda said...

xo!

lucinda said...

thank you!! :)

lucinda said...

thanks, melanie. we are so exctied!

lucinda said...

ever perceptive, erin! your comment made me smile. i was wondering who might catch that detail and of course it was you! ;) you are thoughtful and kind, friend. thank you for quietly celebrating then and more openly now. xoxo

lucinda said...

thank YOU for the very sweet comment, lauren! :)

lucinda said...

thanks, ne! mua!!

lucinda said...

:) :)

lucinda said...

thank you!! xo

lucinda said...

yeay! thanks!!

lucinda said...

thank you, thank you! you are the sweetest, lauren. xo

Petra said...

you are pregnant??? congratulations xoxoxo so happy for you :)

Katie Flood said...

So exciting! Congrats to you and Andy!

Christine D. | The Plumed Nest said...

Oh! congratulations Lucinda. This is wonderful news. I am so happy for you. For all of you. I can't wait to meet the newest member of your family and follow along with you on this exciting journey. xoxo

Hannah Smith | fox and willow said...

so exciting and happy for you all!

 

© current tempo All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger